Symptoms of Mold Exposure

By  |  0 Comments

Almost all chronic diseases are caused by either deficiencies or toxicities within the body.

In regards to toxicities there are a range of environmental factors that cause toxicities in your body as well as the food you eat and the personal care or cleaning products you use everyday.

One of the common toxicity issues I see with the health participants I work with who are experiencing un-diagnosed neurotoxic illness is from mold exposure and mold sensitivity.

Around 25% of the population is sensitive to the biotoxins that mold produces and I am one of them of has experienced first hand the symptoms of mold exposure! While I was in college the building I was living in was covered in mold and without knowing that was the issue I was finding it impossible to concentrate, suffered from brain fog, had gut issues, athletes foot and candida overgrowth.  

Once I realized that the issue was where I was living and had the mold removed my symptoms improved completely allowing me to again perform at my best!

So I know first hand the devastating symptoms of mold exposure and what it can do to your health and performance and for people suffering as I did, finding out what is causing their symptoms and removing the mold source can be absolutely life changing.

So what are common symptoms of mold exposure?

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA),1 all molds have the potential to cause ill health.

Here are some symptoms that can be caused by mold:

  •   Undiagnosed brain and psychiatric struggles
  •   Headaches and / or unusually poor memory
  •   Disorientation and seizures
  •   Mood changes & low energy levels
  •   Strokes
  •   Scarring of brain seen on MRI’s
  •   Brain fog and trouble concentrating
  •   Depression & anxiety
  •   Unexplained weight gain
  •   Flu like symptoms that wont go away including sinus infections or unexplained allergies
  •   Muscle & joint pain or cramping

That’s a long list! But if you are experiencing any of those and are having trouble finding a diagnosis it might be worth getting tested to check if mold toxicity is an issue for you. Click HERE to find out more about working with Designer Health Centers to complete specialized lab testing.

What exactly is mold?

Molds are types of fungi grow by releasing spores into the air like plants do with seeds. You can’t see these spores which is why it is hard to narrow down sometimes if its mold toxicity that is causing your symptoms.

Along with wet or damp places such as basements and bathrooms there are lots of other places where mold may be hiding in your house. Especially if there has been any plumbing problems or roof leaks, mold can be hiding behind drywall or under flooring and carpets. Even if you live in a dry climate mold can be an issue.

Sometimes a musty smell is associated with mold or you can see the visual signs on ceilings or flooring. But sometimes it can be really hard to know that there is a mold issue in your home until you start experiencing symptoms.

Molds produce many powerful substances such as lysergix acid (the parent compound of LSD) and penicillin which is a mycotoxin produced by a mold as well as a powerful and commonly used antibiotic. But mycotoxins can also be extremely poisonous and can cause the symptoms and health issues listed above.

How can you avoid mold poisoning?

If you notice health changes in a new house or after a roof leak or broken appliance then you will want to get your air tested. Some other things to prevent health issues from mold include:

  • Avoid water damaged buildings
  • Use dehumidifiers and air conditioners to keep humidity between 35% and 50% where possible
  • Never leave water spilled on the floor or a rug and make sure any leaky taps or appliances are always fixed promptly
  • If you suspect or you are unsure of mold damage, get your home professionally inspected
  • There is research to suggest that vitamin D could help prevent mold allergies so make sure you are not vitamin D deficient (learn how to test your micronutrient levels here)
  • Identify your symptoms early as possible mold issues and seek a professional trained in treating people with mold related toxicities

What’s next if you think this may be an issue for you?

First you want to get away from the problematic area whenever possible as mold spores are very difficult to destroy even with powerful cleaning agents like bleach.

You might also like to look into a high quality air purifier to control the toxins in the air as you don’t just want to get rid of the mold itself but you need to get rid of all the mold toxins in the air.

If you do discover mold consider calling a mold remediation specialist to assess the severity of the case and what needs to be done to properly remove it. The potential health issues are serious and so although this can be expensive, so are the health consequences.

At Designer Health Centers we have worked with a number of people suffering from mold toxicity related illness and have specific and customized protocols to help you heal and thrive!

Click here to book in a consultation with a high performance doctor to see if we can help you decipher your symptoms and get you back to feeling amazing!!


To find out more about your health and whether a customized approach is the way to go for you, take our High Performance Quiz. Click below!

Take High-Performance Assessment


Affiliate Disclosure

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>